(This information is taken from the Cockpit Arts website)
Designed for aspiring or established turners – i.e. people who practice the art and craft of turning on a lathe in wood or other materials. The Award will help the winning turner by providing the space and time to grow their business, increase profitability and develop their profile. We are looking for an individual who can demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit as well as creative excellence and craft skills.
This is a match funded place for one year worth up to £4,000. (The successful applicant will match this award by paying £1,000 over 12 months.) The total value of £5,000 covers the cost of studio space and support services Awardees receive. Please note that most studios are shared, and sizes vary but an average studio space per maker is around 100-150sq ft.
Benefits included in the Turners’ Award at Cockpit
- Studio space for one year within the creative community at Cockpit Deptford, South London (SE8)
- Business incubation / acceleration services including on-site coaching and workshops
- Selling and promotional opportunities including Cockpit twice-yearly Open Studios
- Access to a lathe and a workbench
Eligibility criteria for the Turners’ Award at Cockpit
- Be aspiring or established turners – i.e. people who practice the art and craft of turning on a lathe in wood or other materials
- Commit to taking up the Award and developing their practice for the full duration of the Award
- Commit to attending our Awardee Induction Day and set of ‘Make It Count’ workshops
- Arrange and pay for their own public liability [minimum £5m] and contents insurance prior to the start date
- Must be currently living in the UK and entitled to remain in the UK for the period of the Award. (Cockpit is not able to sponsor or support visa applications in any way.)
How to apply
- Click on the ‘APPLY NOW’ on the Cockpit Arts website of this page to complete the short initial enquiry form (this is the same form as on our main Awards and Bursaries page)
- We will then send you all the information you need to complete and make the most of your application, including the full application form
Awards and bursaries at Cockpit
All awards and bursaries at Cockpit include studio space, business support and membership of a vibrant craft community, giving successful makers the space and time to develop their profile, grow their business or practice, and increase profitability. In applications, we are looking for individuals who demonstrate entrepreneurial spirit, creative excellence and highly developed craft skills.
About The Worshipful Company of Turners
The Worshipful Company of Turners of London is a Livery Company and runs a charitable trust to promote the art and craft of turning. It does this in a number of ways; by supporting the Register of Professional Turners, holding biennial Turning Competitions and awarding bursaries, grants and prizes to promising turners. The Turners’ Company also holds exhibitions, lectures and demonstrations to promote and preserve the craft.